Saturday, July 10, 2010

Greek Panzanella Salad

IMG_0916
Ever since my mother in law made me this greek panzenella salad from the Barefoot Contessa I been making a HUGE batch of it every week- I literally cannot get enough of it- I crave this stuff! So I decided to share it with all of you!



IMG_0887
Ingredients

Olive oil
1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
Kosher salt
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 red bell pepper, large diced
1 yellow bell pepper, large diced (I used two red bell peppers)
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, sliced in half rounds
1/2 pound feta cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted


IMG_0891
a
Start by chopping up all of the vegetables


IMG_0896
and the feta cheese.


IMG_0897
Throw the vegetables into a bowl.


nm
Prepare the vinaigrette dressing and pour over the top of the vegetables.

Vinaigrette

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil
IMG_0910
Mix the vinaigrette with the vegetables and mix together.



o
For the cubed bread-
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan.
Add cubes of french bread and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until nicely browned.
Add more olive oil as needed.

Add the olives, feta and bread to the vegetables and lightly mix.
Let everything sit for 30 minutes.


IMG_0925

IMG_0920
Enjoy!





23 comments:

LR said...

i have all the ingredients. trying it tomorrow for sure. if the recipe doesn't sell it, you beautiful photos certainly will.

Janet Ghio said...

Boy does that sound good!!

kitty said...

This looks soooooo awesome! Can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing!! (Gott nix the olives tho'...*shudder*)

Jessica P. said...

Yum! Thanks! I will be trying that this week for sure.

Caleen said...

Is there anything you don't do? You are amazing. Talent all around. This looks amazing and the photography alone is WOW!I will definitely try this recipe. My mouth is watering :) Thank you for the wonderful inspiration you are. I definitely have been inspired. Have a lovely week :)

lisbonlioness said...

Can't do with the tomatoes, but if I just substitite them with more peppers... heck, I am drooling already!

Cranberry Morning said...

I've gotta make this. Looks delicious and gorgeous!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

My husband will love this, and I know I will, too! I'm going to make it this week! Thank you, and GREAT photos!

Rebecca Anthony said...

Yum, I must try this! I love that show, she always has great ideas for meals. Your photos are amazing!

Luloveshandmade said...

Looks awesome, sooo delicious and tasty! :)

Sharon Morrison Mercantile said...

yum absolute heaven!!

Mary said...

wow, it looks and sounds amazing.
I do have one question, why hothouse cucumbers??

I will definitely be giving this a try!

Alisa, thank you for all that you share with us! You feed our tummies and our souls!!

Dale said...

That sounds wonderful. I am definitely going to make it this week. I might substitute fresh tomatoes from the Farmer's Market.

Kristi Wodek said...

I am loving your recipes! The fries have been a HUGE hit in our house since that post and now this....well....you are inspiring me in so many ways, thanks!

Created By You said...

Oh so yummy, the photos look good enough to eat and now I'm starving, can't wait to try this recipe!! Glad to have discovered your blog!!

geriann said...

made this last night - it was DELISH - made one change, added a handful of fresh basil sliver sliced...MMMMM. Thanks for sharing!

Kari Desi said...

Your pictures look delicious and I had to try this. Love all of the fresh, healthy ingredients. Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Blondi Blathers said...

That looks great. I also made your french fries, and they were delicious. A hit!

Nina said...

I need this now! I will make it now!
The pics have made my mouth water;)

Robbie said...

I do so love your artwork but pictures of this recipe just got to me! I made this salad yesterday and it was fantastic!! SO GOOD!!! Thanks so much for all the inspiration (art and food!)

Kristi Wodek said...

I am beyond hooked on this recipe. THANK YOU!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

You really started something for me with this salad. I have been making it since you posted it - and I cannot stop! Everyone who has tried it loves it too. Thank you so much (I think!)

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Oh WOW! This looks perfect...I'm sure I could live on it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

~Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails