Thursday, July 29, 2010

the evolution of an idea

sdma copy

Remember this post about the evolution of an idea? Well, I am going to be sharing more of my own process when it come to seeking inspiration and how to apply it to your own work- with the hope that maybe it will inspire you!

In my creative life, I have found that it really helps for me to get out of the house, it is a MUST to get off the computer and into my surroundings when I look for inspiration- I make time every week to take mini field trips to what I call "my go to places". My "go to places" are about 10 locations within a 10-15 minute walk or drive, they are places that I know I will always find color, texture, design and inspiration. From a park, to the zoo, to the beach, to a construction site, to a flower stand, I alternate visiting my favorite places each week. Recently I spent the day at one of my favorite "go to places" the San Diego Museum of Art. While I cannot afford to visit the museum every week, I try to go once a month.


SDMA sketches
Armed with my sketchbook and camera, I spend time taking in the latest exhibit, sketching quick and simple ideas and taking photos of architecture, doorways, and sculpture- sometimes I even get scolded for taking photos of things that are off limits :)


IMG_0576
I am always looking for a spark of an idea, often it is small- like color or a pattern but these little sparks always seem to get my brain going and then a concept develops and evolves.


Untitled-1
thank you to my husband who was secretly stalking me with his camera on this day:)

After my recent trip to SDMA, I came home and went through my photos and sketches and I really liked this overhead shot of the fountain that is the middle of the museum lobby.


IMG_1951
I played around with VERY simple drawings of the fountain.


IMG_1924
And then I decided to use these simple drawing to create a set of mugs.

On one of my supply shopping trips to Michaels I found these little mug and porcelaine marker kits for kids- think mugs intended to have I love you Mommy written on them. They were on sale for $2 so I couldn't resist buying them and knew eventually I would come up with something creative to do with them.


IMG_1928
I decided that the fountain inspired drawings would be perfect for the surface of the mugs and though the pens that were included were limited with color and quality, I made the most of what I had!

Here is how it evolved-


IMG_1929

IMG_1945

IMG_1940

IMG_1937

IMG_1936

IMG_1954

43 comments:

Unknown said...

SO cool to see it all come together! Very inspiring...thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

I heart these mugs!!!! I want to make some now and just may be on a mission to find these little kits at my local craft supplie shops =)
Thanks for sharing, your blog always inspires me.

BellaKarma said...

Love hearing stories of how an idea evolves. One of the reasons why I go to Disneyland so often is 'cos of the endless inspirations - everything from art, to fashion, to overheard conversations to use in my writing ...

... and for the cream-cheese filled pretzels. =)

ohjoana said...

One of the greatest post I ever saw and read. Most of the time text is needed but I must say that here the images say everything. They describe perfectly the evolution of an idea. Plus the mugs are very artistic, but I can't stop thinking about their background, it let me think that inspiration can be in every corner.

Have a lovely day,
Joana

whyducks said...

very pretty mugs, thanks for sharing your inspiration.

Anonymous said...

not sure what branch you live near, but mine (point loma) has sdma passes that can be checked out. it is a wonderful resource for those that can't afford a membership of their own.

the mugs are gorgeous. thanks for a glimpse into your process.

Dagny said...

Love the mugs! I need a new set and now I'm totally thinking about trying it myself even though I don't draw. Thanks for the fabulous photos.

Cindy Swan-Eagan said...

Well, how cool was that. Thanks for sharing the process. Loved it every step of the way.
Cindy

Bee Yourself Fabrics said...

OMG! How inspiring is that! Thank you for sharing how some of your ideas evolve! I will be in the LA area in August. I may want to make a trip down to San Diego!

Lynnetta said...

Thank you for sharing your process. I love reading your blog and it's one of my favorite "go to places" for inspiration as I sit on my computer at my office job each day dreaming of ways to escape.

Penney said...

The mugs came out great! What a lovely glimpse into your world and how you create. Thank you for sharing.

Sharon Posey said...

Positively stunning!

devyn larson said...

If you haven't been, you would love the Getty Villa!! One of my new favorite places in CA. Go on a weekday and pack a picnic. Beautiful place!!

Mary said...

oh my gosh! you did it again!!
how can one person be so full of amazing creativity!!!! I love how you see things!!!

oh I want one!!!! :)

Bee said...

You never fail to inspire us! Thank you for sharing your creative process.

andrea creates said...

Oh my, how inspiring-and how great the mugs turned out!

Carrie said...

Super awesome to see your process. I'm inspired.

Rebekah Leigh said...

These mugs are amazing! When i saw the first images I thought 'wow,pretty damn good' scrolled down a bit more to 'wooooweeee amazing'!You always manage to make exceptional artworks out of quite simple materials...How you think to create so many beautiful things inspires me.Thanks for sharing!

Janie Husband said...

of course i love the mugs... and i also find the 2 classes i am taking from you very inspiring also...they got me to drag out my fabric paints....

Susan said...

These kinds of posts are fabulous. I've been trying to find my own creativity lately, what it means and how it manifests itself. I've started keeping a notebook to keep track of ideas.

And as a former museum worker, I'm still embarrassed when I hear about people getting in trouble for taking pictures at museums. That's why that stuff is there -- for inspiration! I hate no-photograph policies.

SewLindaAnn said...

It was really, really neat to get in on your perspective. The mugs are great.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

I love how you took us on a tour of your museum inspiration hunt...and then used your sparks to create the mugs! Gorgeous.

metrochic said...

this is, by far, the most inspiring blog post i've read in ages. it reminds me of SO much and if i knew you IRL, i would hug your guts right out. THANK YOU!

Susan said...

Me again! I was so inspired by your post that I wrote about you on my blog today:

Why I Read...

Enjoy!

Rebecca Anthony said...

I can completely relate to everything you said in this post! Oh and then your mugs are incredible!! How cool to be able to write on them with markers. I need to find one of these kits or better yet the markers(O: Thanks for inspiring me!

Karla D said...

These mugs are gorgeous. I am so envious of your talent. You are such an inspiration.

Jane LaFazio said...

fab inspiration! thanks for walking us through the process.

Chris said...

Love these! I'm always so tempted by the little kits at Michael's, too - next time, I may have to give in to the urge!

Eden said...

You have given such good tips and suggestions for stepping up my creativity eye, Thank YOU! And, those mugs, WOW! Talk about ART, those are absolutely fun!

Pokey Bolton said...

Love love love...

life without novacaine said...

Love your mugs... they turned out perfect and you can really see the inspiration of the day in your designs!

Beware... I bought the same mug for my son and the paint markers came off when I washed them. Of course he threw the directions away before hand but they might need to be cured in the oven for a bit. Just thought I'd mention it!

Jaimie said...

Wow. I love to see these little evolutions from you. They are really inspiring and make me want to find time to work on my art more. Can I ask: What kind of pens and sketchpads are you using?

Muckypup said...

My kids have had some of these mugs, and I can honestly say that their efforts never turned out this well! Very cool - just don't put them in the dishwasher!

Dale said...

How wonderful that you have all that inspiration practically in your own backyard. I can see many ideas in that fountain. Your mugs turned out great; I may have to find some mugs at my local Michael's. I am planning to share some of my inspiration from my week at the beach soon on my blog. Come visit!

Nicole - Craft My Soul said...

Sooo beautiful! Loving the bright colors. yum!

-Nicole
www.craftmysoul.blogspot.com

Susan Houseman said...

I do love the evolution of the ideas. It's so cool to see the photo's and your sketches come to life on the mugs. I'm planning on signing up for one of your online classes.

Unknown said...

You should check out a museum membership if you go that often. According to the SDMart.org site, you could buy a membership for less than the cost of 4 visits. I have found this true of most museums & zoos; so if you live close to one, it is worth investigating.

Nice mugs and great lesson too. /Cathy

patricia zapata said...

I love to see how other creatives come up with their ideas. Excellent & gorgeous mugs too.

Dori Patrick said...

Those mugs are gorgeous!!! It's always fun to see the idea as it evolves! Thanks!

Kathryn Dyche said...

Wow, those mugs look so neat. I love hearing what inspires something too.

Kylah Marro said...

These are so beautiful!!!! I think I have a few of these kits on my cabinet I have kept for my boyZ,,,rainy day project but now I am thinking that I am going to give it a whirl!

grayzeee said...

I just saw these at Michael's yesterday & I am now inspired to make something of my own imagination with them! Thanks for the spark!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site alisaburke.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails